From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Not as sweet as most cranberry relishes, this ruby-colored condiment is a perfect foil for the dark meat.
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss onions with sugar and oil in a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until the onions are very tender and golden, 1 to 1 1/4 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a medium saucepan and add cranberries, orange juice and zest, vinegar and salt. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until the cranberries are tender and the mixture is thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per tablespoon: 38 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 74 mg sodium; 59 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)