From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Packed with dried cranberries and low-fat granola, these firm bars are excellent travelers, full of complex carbohydrates, vitamins and trace minerals.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups low-fat granola cereal with raisins
- 1 cup dried cranberries, or chopped dried tart cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Beat together sugar, oil and egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth, making sure no lumps of sugar remain. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until blended. Stir in granola and dried fruit. (The batter will be quite thick.)
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish; smooth the top. Bake until golden brown on top and they feel set when lightly pressed in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 20 bars.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Per serving: 146 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 116 mg sodium; 43 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995