From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Packed with dried cranberries and low-fat granola, these firm bars are excellent travelers, full of complex carbohydrates, vitamins and trace minerals.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups low-fat granola cereal with raisins
- 1 cup dried cranberries, or chopped dried tart cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Beat together sugar, oil and egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth, making sure no lumps of sugar remain. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until blended. Stir in granola and dried fruit. (The batter will be quite thick.)
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish; smooth the top. Bake until golden brown on top and they feel set when lightly pressed in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 20 bars.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Per serving: 146 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 116 mg sodium; 43 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- July/August 1995