From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Packed with dried cranberries and low-fat granola, these firm bars are excellent travelers, full of complex carbohydrates, vitamins and trace minerals.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups low-fat granola cereal with raisins
- 1 cup dried cranberries, or chopped dried tart cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Beat together sugar, oil and egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth, making sure no lumps of sugar remain. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until blended. Stir in granola and dried fruit. (The batter will be quite thick.)
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish; smooth the top. Bake until golden brown on top and they feel set when lightly pressed in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 20 bars.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Per serving: 146 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 116 mg sodium; 43 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995