From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Packed with dried cranberries and low-fat granola, these firm bars are excellent travelers, full of complex carbohydrates, vitamins and trace minerals.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups low-fat granola cereal with raisins
- 1 cup dried cranberries, or chopped dried tart cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Beat together sugar, oil and egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth, making sure no lumps of sugar remain. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until blended. Stir in granola and dried fruit. (The batter will be quite thick.)
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish; smooth the top. Bake until golden brown on top and they feel set when lightly pressed in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 20 bars.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Per serving: 146 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 116 mg sodium; 43 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995