From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Packed with dried cranberries and low-fat granola, these firm bars are excellent travelers, full of complex carbohydrates, vitamins and trace minerals.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups low-fat granola cereal with raisins
- 1 cup dried cranberries, or chopped dried tart cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Beat together sugar, oil and egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth, making sure no lumps of sugar remain. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until blended. Stir in granola and dried fruit. (The batter will be quite thick.)
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish; smooth the top. Bake until golden brown on top and they feel set when lightly pressed in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 20 bars.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Per serving: 146 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 116 mg sodium; 43 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995