From EatingWell: Fall 2002
Dark cherries may be unusual in a traditional cranberry relish, but they are an interesting and worthwhile addition. They give the relish a beautiful ruby hue and complex taste; pears provide a delicate balance to the assertive red fruits.
- 1 12-ounce package fresh or frozen cranberries, (3 cups)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen sweet cherries, (2 cups)
- 2 firm ripe pears, such as Bosc or Anjou, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Combine cranberries, cherries, pears, vinegar, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon in a large heavy saucepan and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring often to prevent sticking. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is tender and the relish has thickened, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Per tablespoon: 19 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)