Cranberry Baked Apples
Stuffed with dried cranberries, these pretty baked apples would be delicious served with Custard Sauce.
- 4 large cooking apples, such as Golden Delicious, Cortland or Rome
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, or currants
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup apple cider, or apple juice
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Remove a thin slice from the bottom of each apple so it will stand. Remove a 3/4-inch slice from the top. Scoop out the center core of each apple with a melon baller or grapefruit spoon. (Do not cut all the way through the bottom; leave a thick shell on the sides.)
- Stir together cranberries (or currants) and brown sugar in a small bowl. Spoon 1/4 of the mixture into each apple cavity. Set the apples in a small baking dish. Dot the top of each apple with 1/2 teaspoon butter. Pour cider (or juice) around the apples and cover the dish tightly with foil.
- Bake until the apples are almost tender, 30 minutes. Uncover the pan and baste the apples with the pan juices. Bake uncovered until the apples are tender and the juices are slightly reduced, about 10 minutes longer, basting once or twice more. Spoon the juices into the centers of the apples and serve warm.
Per serving: 174 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 3 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation