Cranberry Baked Apples
Stuffed with dried cranberries, these pretty baked apples would be delicious served with Custard Sauce.
- 4 large cooking apples, such as Golden Delicious, Cortland or Rome
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, or currants
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup apple cider, or apple juice
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Remove a thin slice from the bottom of each apple so it will stand. Remove a 3/4-inch slice from the top. Scoop out the center core of each apple with a melon baller or grapefruit spoon. (Do not cut all the way through the bottom; leave a thick shell on the sides.)
- Stir together cranberries (or currants) and brown sugar in a small bowl. Spoon 1/4 of the mixture into each apple cavity. Set the apples in a small baking dish. Dot the top of each apple with 1/2 teaspoon butter. Pour cider (or juice) around the apples and cover the dish tightly with foil.
- Bake until the apples are almost tender, 30 minutes. Uncover the pan and baste the apples with the pan juices. Bake uncovered until the apples are tender and the juices are slightly reduced, about 10 minutes longer, basting once or twice more. Spoon the juices into the centers of the apples and serve warm.
Per serving: 174 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 3 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation