Cranberry Baked Apples
Stuffed with dried cranberries, these pretty baked apples would be delicious served with Custard Sauce.
- 4 large cooking apples, such as Golden Delicious, Cortland or Rome
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, or currants
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup apple cider, or apple juice
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Remove a thin slice from the bottom of each apple so it will stand. Remove a 3/4-inch slice from the top. Scoop out the center core of each apple with a melon baller or grapefruit spoon. (Do not cut all the way through the bottom; leave a thick shell on the sides.)
- Stir together cranberries (or currants) and brown sugar in a small bowl. Spoon 1/4 of the mixture into each apple cavity. Set the apples in a small baking dish. Dot the top of each apple with 1/2 teaspoon butter. Pour cider (or juice) around the apples and cover the dish tightly with foil.
- Bake until the apples are almost tender, 30 minutes. Uncover the pan and baste the apples with the pan juices. Bake uncovered until the apples are tender and the juices are slightly reduced, about 10 minutes longer, basting once or twice more. Spoon the juices into the centers of the apples and serve warm.
Per serving: 174 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 3 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour