Cranberry Baked Apples
Stuffed with dried cranberries, these pretty baked apples would be delicious served with Custard Sauce.
- 4 large cooking apples, such as Golden Delicious, Cortland or Rome
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, or currants
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup apple cider, or apple juice
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Remove a thin slice from the bottom of each apple so it will stand. Remove a 3/4-inch slice from the top. Scoop out the center core of each apple with a melon baller or grapefruit spoon. (Do not cut all the way through the bottom; leave a thick shell on the sides.)
- Stir together cranberries (or currants) and brown sugar in a small bowl. Spoon 1/4 of the mixture into each apple cavity. Set the apples in a small baking dish. Dot the top of each apple with 1/2 teaspoon butter. Pour cider (or juice) around the apples and cover the dish tightly with foil.
- Bake until the apples are almost tender, 30 minutes. Uncover the pan and baste the apples with the pan juices. Bake uncovered until the apples are tender and the juices are slightly reduced, about 10 minutes longer, basting once or twice more. Spoon the juices into the centers of the apples and serve warm.
Per serving: 174 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 3 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation