Cranberry-Apricot Delicata Squash
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Slice delicata as thinly as you can, toss it in the steamer and you have an almost instant side dish. We like it tossed with dried cranberries, apricots and sliced almonds, but try it with any dried fruit and nuts you have on hand.
- 1 pound delicata squash (about 1 large)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds (see Tip)
- Cut squash in quarters lengthwise; scoop out the seeds. Very thinly slice crosswise.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Steam the squash until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Whisk oil, cider (or juice), salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the squash, apricots cranberries and chives; toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with almonds.
Per serving: 171 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 151 mg sodium; 435 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (225% daily value), Vitamin C (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 2010