Cranberry-Apricot Delicata Squash
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Slice delicata as thinly as you can, toss it in the steamer and you have an almost instant side dish. We like it tossed with dried cranberries, apricots and sliced almonds, but try it with any dried fruit and nuts you have on hand.
- 1 pound delicata squash (about 1 large)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds (see Tip)
- Cut squash in quarters lengthwise; scoop out the seeds. Very thinly slice crosswise.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Steam the squash until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Whisk oil, cider (or juice), salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the squash, apricots cranberries and chives; toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with almonds.
Per serving: 171 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 151 mg sodium; 435 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (225% daily value), Vitamin C (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2010