Cranberry-Apricot Delicata Squash
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Slice delicata as thinly as you can, toss it in the steamer and you have an almost instant side dish. We like it tossed with dried cranberries, apricots and sliced almonds, but try it with any dried fruit and nuts you have on hand.
- 1 pound delicata squash (about 1 large)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds (see Tip)
- Cut squash in quarters lengthwise; scoop out the seeds. Very thinly slice crosswise.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Steam the squash until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Whisk oil, cider (or juice), salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the squash, apricots cranberries and chives; toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with almonds.
Per serving: 171 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 151 mg sodium; 435 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (225% daily value), Vitamin C (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2010