Cranberry-Apricot Delicata Squash
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Slice delicata as thinly as you can, toss it in the steamer and you have an almost instant side dish. We like it tossed with dried cranberries, apricots and sliced almonds, but try it with any dried fruit and nuts you have on hand.
- 1 pound delicata squash (about 1 large)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds (see Tip)
- Cut squash in quarters lengthwise; scoop out the seeds. Very thinly slice crosswise.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Steam the squash until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Whisk oil, cider (or juice), salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the squash, apricots cranberries and chives; toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with almonds.
Per serving: 171 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 151 mg sodium; 435 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (225% daily value), Vitamin C (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- November/December 2010