From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Tangy cranberry sauce and tart Granny Smith apples are topped with a walnut topping in this simple crisp.
- 2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 16-ounce can whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup frozen apple-juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine apples, cranberry sauce and lemon juice in a large bowl. Transfer to a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan. 3. Whisk oats, flour, walnuts, brown sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk apple-juice concentrate and oil in a small bowl until blended; drizzle over dry ingredients and mix with your fingers until moistened. Sprinkle over apples. Bake until apples are tender and top is golden, 40 to 45 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan
Per serving: 294 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 266 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1998