From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Tangy cranberry sauce and tart Granny Smith apples are topped with a walnut topping in this simple crisp.
- 2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 16-ounce can whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup frozen apple-juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine apples, cranberry sauce and lemon juice in a large bowl. Transfer to a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan. 3. Whisk oats, flour, walnuts, brown sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk apple-juice concentrate and oil in a small bowl until blended; drizzle over dry ingredients and mix with your fingers until moistened. Sprinkle over apples. Bake until apples are tender and top is golden, 40 to 45 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan
Per serving: 294 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 266 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1998