From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Tangy cranberry sauce and tart Granny Smith apples are topped with a walnut topping in this simple crisp.
- 2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 16-ounce can whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup frozen apple-juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine apples, cranberry sauce and lemon juice in a large bowl. Transfer to a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan. 3. Whisk oats, flour, walnuts, brown sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk apple-juice concentrate and oil in a small bowl until blended; drizzle over dry ingredients and mix with your fingers until moistened. Sprinkle over apples. Bake until apples are tender and top is golden, 40 to 45 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan
Per serving: 294 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 266 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1998