From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Tangy cranberry sauce and tart Granny Smith apples are topped with a walnut topping in this simple crisp.
- 2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 16-ounce can whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup frozen apple-juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine apples, cranberry sauce and lemon juice in a large bowl. Transfer to a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan. 3. Whisk oats, flour, walnuts, brown sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk apple-juice concentrate and oil in a small bowl until blended; drizzle over dry ingredients and mix with your fingers until moistened. Sprinkle over apples. Bake until apples are tender and top is golden, 40 to 45 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan
Per serving: 294 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 266 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 1998