If you've never made your own granola, you'll be amazed at the difference in freshness and flavor—and at how easy it is. Use this recipe as a starting point for your own creativity: substitute dried blueberries or chopped dried apricots for the cranberries, or walnuts or hazelnuts for the almonds.
- 2/3 cup frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup almond oil, or canola oil
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 5 cups rolled oats, (not quick-cooking)
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, (2 ounces)
- 1 cup dried cranberries, divided
- Position racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven; preheat to 325°F. Coat 2 large baking sheets with sides with cooking spray.
- Whisk apple juice concentrate, maple syrup, oil and brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cinnamon and salt.
- Mix oats, wheat germ, almonds and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Stir in the juice mixture; toss to coat. Spread the granola evenly on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the granola for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice. Reverse sheets top to bottom and back to front. Continue baking until lightly browned and aromatic, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes more. Transfer the baking sheets to wire racks; stir 1/2 cup dried cranberries into the granola on each sheet. Let cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store granola in airtight containers for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 262 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 67 mg sodium; 229 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium & Fiber (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique