Crackle-Topped Rhubarb Coffee Cake
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Chunks of rhubarb accent this moist, tender cake. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the batter before baking to create a crisp top.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray. Sift flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt into a medium bowl. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon just to blend. Stir in rhubarb. Turn the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- To prepare topping: Stir together 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the cake. Bake until the top is brown and crackled and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.
Per serving: 297 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 160 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (22% daily value), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1994