Crackle-Topped Rhubarb Coffee Cake
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Chunks of rhubarb accent this moist, tender cake. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the batter before baking to create a crisp top.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray. Sift flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt into a medium bowl. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon just to blend. Stir in rhubarb. Turn the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- To prepare topping: Stir together 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the cake. Bake until the top is brown and crackled and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.
Per serving: 297 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 160 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (22% daily value), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994