Crackle-Topped Rhubarb Coffee Cake
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Chunks of rhubarb accent this moist, tender cake. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the batter before baking to create a crisp top.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray. Sift flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt into a medium bowl. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon just to blend. Stir in rhubarb. Turn the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- To prepare topping: Stir together 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the cake. Bake until the top is brown and crackled and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.
Per serving: 297 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 160 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (22% daily value), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Grapefruit can add a healthy and refreshing flavor to entrees...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994