From EatingWell: September/October 1991
The typical way to prepare crab in the West African country Benin. If you are cooking fresh crab, you will need about 8 pounds live crabs. Once you have removed the meat from the shells, save at least six shells to use as baking containers. Serve hot with rice. Make it a meal: Serve with Zucchini Rice and sliced tomatoes.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 pounds cooked fresh crab meat
- 1 cup chopped scallions, including green tops (5 whole)
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes, (1 large)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced habanero, (Scotch bonnet) or 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs lightly in a medium bowl. Stir in crab meat, scallions, tomatoes, parsley, celery, garlic, chiles, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Spoon into six well-washed crab shells or six 1 1/3-cup ramekins. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs evenly over the tops.
- Place the crab shells or ramekins on a baking sheet and bake until the tops are golden brown and the custard has set, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Per serving: 229 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 222 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 1 g fiber; 717 mg sodium; 680 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (34% daily value), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv), Magnesium (16% dv), Selenium (98% dv), Zinc (46% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1991