From EatingWell: September/October 1991
The typical way to prepare crab in the West African country Benin. If you are cooking fresh crab, you will need about 8 pounds live crabs. Once you have removed the meat from the shells, save at least six shells to use as baking containers. Serve hot with rice. Make it a meal: Serve with Zucchini Rice and sliced tomatoes.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 pounds cooked fresh crab meat
- 1 cup chopped scallions, including green tops (5 whole)
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes, (1 large)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced habanero, (Scotch bonnet) or 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs lightly in a medium bowl. Stir in crab meat, scallions, tomatoes, parsley, celery, garlic, chiles, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Spoon into six well-washed crab shells or six 1 1/3-cup ramekins. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs evenly over the tops.
- Place the crab shells or ramekins on a baking sheet and bake until the tops are golden brown and the custard has set, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Per serving: 229 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 222 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 1 g fiber; 717 mg sodium; 680 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (34% daily value), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv), Magnesium (16% dv), Selenium (98% dv), Zinc (46% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1991