From EatingWell: September/October 1991
The typical way to prepare crab in the West African country Benin. If you are cooking fresh crab, you will need about 8 pounds live crabs. Once you have removed the meat from the shells, save at least six shells to use as baking containers. Serve hot with rice. Make it a meal: Serve with Zucchini Rice and sliced tomatoes.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 pounds cooked fresh crab meat
- 1 cup chopped scallions, including green tops (5 whole)
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes, (1 large)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced habanero, (Scotch bonnet) or 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs lightly in a medium bowl. Stir in crab meat, scallions, tomatoes, parsley, celery, garlic, chiles, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Spoon into six well-washed crab shells or six 1 1/3-cup ramekins. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs evenly over the tops.
- Place the crab shells or ramekins on a baking sheet and bake until the tops are golden brown and the custard has set, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Per serving: 229 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 222 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 1 g fiber; 717 mg sodium; 680 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (34% daily value), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv), Magnesium (16% dv), Selenium (98% dv), Zinc (46% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- September/October 1991