From EatingWell: September/October 1991
The typical way to prepare crab in the West African country Benin. If you are cooking fresh crab, you will need about 8 pounds live crabs. Once you have removed the meat from the shells, save at least six shells to use as baking containers. Serve hot with rice. Make it a meal: Serve with Zucchini Rice and sliced tomatoes.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 pounds cooked fresh crab meat
- 1 cup chopped scallions, including green tops (5 whole)
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes, (1 large)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced habanero, (Scotch bonnet) or 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs lightly in a medium bowl. Stir in crab meat, scallions, tomatoes, parsley, celery, garlic, chiles, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Spoon into six well-washed crab shells or six 1 1/3-cup ramekins. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs evenly over the tops.
- Place the crab shells or ramekins on a baking sheet and bake until the tops are golden brown and the custard has set, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Per serving: 229 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 222 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 1 g fiber; 717 mg sodium; 680 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (34% daily value), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv), Magnesium (16% dv), Selenium (98% dv), Zinc (46% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- September/October 1991