From EatingWell: September/October 1991
The typical way to prepare crab in the West African country Benin. If you are cooking fresh crab, you will need about 8 pounds live crabs. Once you have removed the meat from the shells, save at least six shells to use as baking containers. Serve hot with rice. Make it a meal: Serve with Zucchini Rice and sliced tomatoes.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 pounds cooked fresh crab meat
- 1 cup chopped scallions, including green tops (5 whole)
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes, (1 large)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced habanero, (Scotch bonnet) or 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs lightly in a medium bowl. Stir in crab meat, scallions, tomatoes, parsley, celery, garlic, chiles, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Spoon into six well-washed crab shells or six 1 1/3-cup ramekins. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs evenly over the tops.
- Place the crab shells or ramekins on a baking sheet and bake until the tops are golden brown and the custard has set, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Per serving: 229 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 222 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 1 g fiber; 717 mg sodium; 680 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (34% daily value), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv), Magnesium (16% dv), Selenium (98% dv), Zinc (46% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1991