Crab Salad-Stuffed Pitas
Hold the mayo! We use ingredients that are high in flavor but low in calories—lime juice, ginger, cilantro and chile peppers among them—to make this crab salad both nutritionally sound and absolutely delicious. If you want to skip the pita, serve on a bed of Boston lettuce or mixed greens.
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 7 ounces cooked crab meat, drained (see Note)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery heart with leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño pepper, or to taste
- 2 6-inch pita breads, warmed and cut in half crosswise
- 2 large lettuce leaves, torn in half
- Whisk vinegar, oil, lime juice and pepper in a medium bowl. Add ginger, crab, celery, onion, cilantro and jalapeno; toss well. Line pita halves with lettuce and fill with crab salad.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Crab meat can be purchased in handy, 3.5-ounce, shelf-stable pouches—usually found in the same section as canned tuna. Each pouch is one serving.
Per serving: 339 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 6 g fiber; 728 mg sodium; 250 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (40% daily value), Iron & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique