Crab Salad-Stuffed Pitas
Hold the mayo! We use ingredients that are high in flavor but low in calories—lime juice, ginger, cilantro and chile peppers among them—to make this crab salad both nutritionally sound and absolutely delicious. If you want to skip the pita, serve on a bed of Boston lettuce or mixed greens.
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 7 ounces cooked crab meat, drained (see Note)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery heart with leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño pepper, or to taste
- 2 6-inch pita breads, warmed and cut in half crosswise
- 2 large lettuce leaves, torn in half
- Whisk vinegar, oil, lime juice and pepper in a medium bowl. Add ginger, crab, celery, onion, cilantro and jalapeno; toss well. Line pita halves with lettuce and fill with crab salad.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Crab meat can be purchased in handy, 3.5-ounce, shelf-stable pouches—usually found in the same section as canned tuna. Each pouch is one serving.
Per serving: 339 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 6 g fiber; 728 mg sodium; 250 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (40% daily value), Iron & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation