Crab Salad-Stuffed Pitas
Hold the mayo! We use ingredients that are high in flavor but low in calories—lime juice, ginger, cilantro and chile peppers among them—to make this crab salad both nutritionally sound and absolutely delicious. If you want to skip the pita, serve on a bed of Boston lettuce or mixed greens.
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 7 ounces cooked crab meat, drained (see Note)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery heart with leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño pepper, or to taste
- 2 6-inch pita breads, warmed and cut in half crosswise
- 2 large lettuce leaves, torn in half
- Whisk vinegar, oil, lime juice and pepper in a medium bowl. Add ginger, crab, celery, onion, cilantro and jalapeno; toss well. Line pita halves with lettuce and fill with crab salad.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Crab meat can be purchased in handy, 3.5-ounce, shelf-stable pouches—usually found in the same section as canned tuna. Each pouch is one serving.
Per serving: 339 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 6 g fiber; 728 mg sodium; 250 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (40% daily value), Iron & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique