Crab Salad-Stuffed Pitas
Hold the mayo! We use ingredients that are high in flavor but low in calories—lime juice, ginger, cilantro and chile peppers among them—to make this crab salad both nutritionally sound and absolutely delicious. If you want to skip the pita, serve on a bed of Boston lettuce or mixed greens.
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 7 ounces cooked crab meat, drained (see Note)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery heart with leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño pepper, or to taste
- 2 6-inch pita breads, warmed and cut in half crosswise
- 2 large lettuce leaves, torn in half
- Whisk vinegar, oil, lime juice and pepper in a medium bowl. Add ginger, crab, celery, onion, cilantro and jalapeno; toss well. Line pita halves with lettuce and fill with crab salad.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Crab meat can be purchased in handy, 3.5-ounce, shelf-stable pouches—usually found in the same section as canned tuna. Each pouch is one serving.
Per serving: 339 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 6 g fiber; 728 mg sodium; 250 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (40% daily value), Iron & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique