Crab Salad-Stuffed Pitas
Hold the mayo! We use ingredients that are high in flavor but low in calories—lime juice, ginger, cilantro and chile peppers among them—to make this crab salad both nutritionally sound and absolutely delicious. If you want to skip the pita, serve on a bed of Boston lettuce or mixed greens.
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 7 ounces cooked crab meat, drained (see Note)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery heart with leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño pepper, or to taste
- 2 6-inch pita breads, warmed and cut in half crosswise
- 2 large lettuce leaves, torn in half
- Whisk vinegar, oil, lime juice and pepper in a medium bowl. Add ginger, crab, celery, onion, cilantro and jalapeno; toss well. Line pita halves with lettuce and fill with crab salad.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Crab meat can be purchased in handy, 3.5-ounce, shelf-stable pouches—usually found in the same section as canned tuna. Each pouch is one serving.
Per serving: 339 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 6 g fiber; 728 mg sodium; 250 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (40% daily value), Iron & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)