Crab Salad Melts
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
This crab and asparagus melt is delicious for a light spring dinner or lunch. You can use any type of crabmeat—including more affordable options available in pouches or cans near other canned fish or in tubs in the seafood department. Serve with a tossed salad.
- 3 asparagus spears, or 12 snow peas, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
- 8 ounces crabmeat, any shells or cartilage removed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2-5 dashes hot sauce
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins, split and toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Place rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat broiler.
- Place asparagus (or snow peas) in a medium microwave-safe bowl with 1 teaspoon water. Cover and microwave until tender, about 30 seconds. Add crab, celery, bell pepper, scallion, lemon juice, mayonnaise, Old Bay seasoning, hot sauce to taste and pepper; stir to combine.
- Place English muffin halves, cut-side up, on a large baking sheet. Spread a generous 1/4 cup of the crab salad on each muffin half and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, 3 to 6 minutes.
Per serving: 251 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 629 mg sodium; 234 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (33% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate & Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2009