Crab Salad Melts
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
This crab and asparagus melt is delicious for a light spring dinner or lunch. You can use any type of crabmeat—including more affordable options available in pouches or cans near other canned fish or in tubs in the seafood department. Serve with a tossed salad.
- 3 asparagus spears, or 12 snow peas, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
- 8 ounces crabmeat, any shells or cartilage removed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2-5 dashes hot sauce
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins, split and toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Place rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat broiler.
- Place asparagus (or snow peas) in a medium microwave-safe bowl with 1 teaspoon water. Cover and microwave until tender, about 30 seconds. Add crab, celery, bell pepper, scallion, lemon juice, mayonnaise, Old Bay seasoning, hot sauce to taste and pepper; stir to combine.
- Place English muffin halves, cut-side up, on a large baking sheet. Spread a generous 1/4 cup of the crab salad on each muffin half and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, 3 to 6 minutes.
Per serving: 251 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 629 mg sodium; 234 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (33% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate & Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2009