Crab Salad Melts
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
This crab and asparagus melt is delicious for a light spring dinner or lunch. You can use any type of crabmeat—including more affordable options available in pouches or cans near other canned fish or in tubs in the seafood department. Serve with a tossed salad.
- 3 asparagus spears, or 12 snow peas, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
- 8 ounces crabmeat, any shells or cartilage removed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2-5 dashes hot sauce
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins, split and toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Place rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat broiler.
- Place asparagus (or snow peas) in a medium microwave-safe bowl with 1 teaspoon water. Cover and microwave until tender, about 30 seconds. Add crab, celery, bell pepper, scallion, lemon juice, mayonnaise, Old Bay seasoning, hot sauce to taste and pepper; stir to combine.
- Place English muffin halves, cut-side up, on a large baking sheet. Spread a generous 1/4 cup of the crab salad on each muffin half and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, 3 to 6 minutes.
Per serving: 251 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 629 mg sodium; 234 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (33% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate & Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2009