Crab Salad in Pita Pockets
A fresh, lively dressing of ginger, jalapeño and lime juice replaces mayonnaise in this luxurious crab salad sandwich.
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, squeezed dry
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery heart with leaves
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced jalepeño pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 2 8-inch whole-wheat pita breads, cut in half crosswise
- Whisk together vinegar, oil and lime juice in a medium bowl. Add crabmeat, celery, onion, jalapeño and ginger; toss well. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble sandwiches, line pita halves with lettuce and fill with crab salad.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Crabmeat can be purchased in handy, 3.5-ounce, shelf-stable pouches—usually found in the same section as canned tuna. Each pouch is one serving.
Per serving: 252 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 5 g fiber; 582 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation