Crab Salad in Pita Pockets
A fresh, lively dressing of ginger, jalapeño and lime juice replaces mayonnaise in this luxurious crab salad sandwich.
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, squeezed dry
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery heart with leaves
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced jalepeño pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 2 8-inch whole-wheat pita breads, cut in half crosswise
- Whisk together vinegar, oil and lime juice in a medium bowl. Add crabmeat, celery, onion, jalapeño and ginger; toss well. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble sandwiches, line pita halves with lettuce and fill with crab salad.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Crabmeat can be purchased in handy, 3.5-ounce, shelf-stable pouches—usually found in the same section as canned tuna. Each pouch is one serving.
Per serving: 252 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 5 g fiber; 582 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique