Crab Salad in Pita Pockets
A fresh, lively dressing of ginger, jalapeño and lime juice replaces mayonnaise in this luxurious crab salad sandwich.
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, squeezed dry
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery heart with leaves
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced jalepeño pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 2 8-inch whole-wheat pita breads, cut in half crosswise
- Whisk together vinegar, oil and lime juice in a medium bowl. Add crabmeat, celery, onion, jalapeño and ginger; toss well. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble sandwiches, line pita halves with lettuce and fill with crab salad.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Crabmeat can be purchased in handy, 3.5-ounce, shelf-stable pouches—usually found in the same section as canned tuna. Each pouch is one serving.
Per serving: 252 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 5 g fiber; 582 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique