Crab Salad in Pita Pockets
A fresh, lively dressing of ginger, jalapeño and lime juice replaces mayonnaise in this luxurious crab salad sandwich.
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, squeezed dry
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery heart with leaves
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced jalepeño pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 2 8-inch whole-wheat pita breads, cut in half crosswise
- Whisk together vinegar, oil and lime juice in a medium bowl. Add crabmeat, celery, onion, jalapeño and ginger; toss well. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble sandwiches, line pita halves with lettuce and fill with crab salad.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Crabmeat can be purchased in handy, 3.5-ounce, shelf-stable pouches—usually found in the same section as canned tuna. Each pouch is one serving.
Per serving: 252 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 5 g fiber; 582 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique