From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This healthier take on a lobster roll uses crab because it’s usually easier (and less expensive) to buy. But by all means use lobster if you prefer. Serve with coleslaw and an ice-cold beer.
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh chives, divided
- 12 ounces cooked crabmeat (about 2 cups; see Tip), drained if necessary, any shells or cartilage removed
- 8 leaves red or green leaf lettuce
- 4 whole-wheat hot dog buns (toasted, if desired)
- Whisk mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice, hot sauce, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Thoroughly mix in shallot, celery and 3 tablespoons chives. Mix in crab very gently so it doesn’t break up too much.
- Line each bun with lettuce and divide the crab filling among the buns. Garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon chives.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the crab filling (Step 1) for up to 1 day.
- Tip: Crabmeat (already removed from the shell) can be purchased canned, in shelf-stable pouches, frozen or pasteurized. Pasteurized usually has the best flavor; look for it in the fresh seafood section of the market. Crab from the U.S. and Canada are both considered good choices for the environment. If you live in an area known for crab, you may be able to get freshly cooked crabs at the seafood counter of your local market.
Per serving: 238 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 102 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 4 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 269 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (32% daily value), Vitamin A (26% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 2011