From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This healthier take on a lobster roll uses crab because it’s usually easier (and less expensive) to buy. But by all means use lobster if you prefer. Serve with coleslaw and an ice-cold beer.
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh chives, divided
- 12 ounces cooked crabmeat (about 2 cups; see Tip), drained if necessary, any shells or cartilage removed
- 8 leaves red or green leaf lettuce
- 4 whole-wheat hot dog buns (toasted, if desired)
- Whisk mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice, hot sauce, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Thoroughly mix in shallot, celery and 3 tablespoons chives. Mix in crab very gently so it doesn’t break up too much.
- Line each bun with lettuce and divide the crab filling among the buns. Garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon chives.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the crab filling (Step 1) for up to 1 day.
- Tip: Crabmeat (already removed from the shell) can be purchased canned, in shelf-stable pouches, frozen or pasteurized. Pasteurized usually has the best flavor; look for it in the fresh seafood section of the market. Crab from the U.S. and Canada are both considered good choices for the environment. If you live in an area known for crab, you may be able to get freshly cooked crabs at the seafood counter of your local market.
Per serving: 238 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 102 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 4 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 269 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (32% daily value), Vitamin A (26% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2011