From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This healthier take on a lobster roll uses crab because it’s usually easier (and less expensive) to buy. But by all means use lobster if you prefer. Serve with coleslaw and an ice-cold beer.
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh chives, divided
- 12 ounces cooked crabmeat (about 2 cups; see Tip), drained if necessary, any shells or cartilage removed
- 8 leaves red or green leaf lettuce
- 4 whole-wheat hot dog buns (toasted, if desired)
- Whisk mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice, hot sauce, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Thoroughly mix in shallot, celery and 3 tablespoons chives. Mix in crab very gently so it doesn’t break up too much.
- Line each bun with lettuce and divide the crab filling among the buns. Garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon chives.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the crab filling (Step 1) for up to 1 day.
- Tip: Crabmeat (already removed from the shell) can be purchased canned, in shelf-stable pouches, frozen or pasteurized. Pasteurized usually has the best flavor; look for it in the fresh seafood section of the market. Crab from the U.S. and Canada are both considered good choices for the environment. If you live in an area known for crab, you may be able to get freshly cooked crabs at the seafood counter of your local market.
Per serving: 238 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 102 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 4 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 269 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (32% daily value), Vitamin A (26% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2011