From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This healthier take on a lobster roll uses crab because it’s usually easier (and less expensive) to buy. But by all means use lobster if you prefer. Serve with coleslaw and an ice-cold beer.
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh chives, divided
- 12 ounces cooked crabmeat (about 2 cups; see Tip), drained if necessary, any shells or cartilage removed
- 8 leaves red or green leaf lettuce
- 4 whole-wheat hot dog buns (toasted, if desired)
- Whisk mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice, hot sauce, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Thoroughly mix in shallot, celery and 3 tablespoons chives. Mix in crab very gently so it doesn’t break up too much.
- Line each bun with lettuce and divide the crab filling among the buns. Garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon chives.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the crab filling (Step 1) for up to 1 day.
- Tip: Crabmeat (already removed from the shell) can be purchased canned, in shelf-stable pouches, frozen or pasteurized. Pasteurized usually has the best flavor; look for it in the fresh seafood section of the market. Crab from the U.S. and Canada are both considered good choices for the environment. If you live in an area known for crab, you may be able to get freshly cooked crabs at the seafood counter of your local market.
Per serving: 238 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 102 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 4 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 269 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (32% daily value), Vitamin A (26% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2011