From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This healthier take on a lobster roll uses crab because it’s usually easier (and less expensive) to buy. But by all means use lobster if you prefer. Serve with coleslaw and an ice-cold beer.
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh chives, divided
- 12 ounces cooked crabmeat (about 2 cups; see Tip), drained if necessary, any shells or cartilage removed
- 8 leaves red or green leaf lettuce
- 4 whole-wheat hot dog buns (toasted, if desired)
- Whisk mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice, hot sauce, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Thoroughly mix in shallot, celery and 3 tablespoons chives. Mix in crab very gently so it doesn’t break up too much.
- Line each bun with lettuce and divide the crab filling among the buns. Garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon chives.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the crab filling (Step 1) for up to 1 day.
- Tip: Crabmeat (already removed from the shell) can be purchased canned, in shelf-stable pouches, frozen or pasteurized. Pasteurized usually has the best flavor; look for it in the fresh seafood section of the market. Crab from the U.S. and Canada are both considered good choices for the environment. If you live in an area known for crab, you may be able to get freshly cooked crabs at the seafood counter of your local market.
Per serving: 238 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 102 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 4 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 269 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (32% daily value), Vitamin A (26% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2011