From EatingWell: December 2006
These quesadillas have an irresistibly creamy filling. They also make great appetizers. Make it a meal: Serve with your favorite salsa on top and a cup of black bean soup topped with chopped avocado.
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 8 ounces pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary
- 4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- Combine Cheddar, cream cheese, scallions, bell pepper, cilantro, jalapenos (if using), orange zest and juice in a medium bowl. Gently stir in crab. Lay tortillas out on a work surface. Spread one-fourth of the filling on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 quesadillas in the pan and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges.
Per serving: 303 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 83 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber; 625 mg sodium; 117 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (25% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- December 2006