From EatingWell: December 2006
These quesadillas have an irresistibly creamy filling. They also make great appetizers. Make it a meal: Serve with your favorite salsa on top and a cup of black bean soup topped with chopped avocado.
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 8 ounces pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary
- 4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- Combine Cheddar, cream cheese, scallions, bell pepper, cilantro, jalapenos (if using), orange zest and juice in a medium bowl. Gently stir in crab. Lay tortillas out on a work surface. Spread one-fourth of the filling on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 quesadillas in the pan and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges.
Per serving: 303 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 83 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber; 625 mg sodium; 117 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (25% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- December 2006