From EatingWell: December 2006
These quesadillas have an irresistibly creamy filling. They also make great appetizers. Make it a meal: Serve with your favorite salsa on top and a cup of black bean soup topped with chopped avocado.
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 8 ounces pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary
- 4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- Combine Cheddar, cream cheese, scallions, bell pepper, cilantro, jalapenos (if using), orange zest and juice in a medium bowl. Gently stir in crab. Lay tortillas out on a work surface. Spread one-fourth of the filling on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 quesadillas in the pan and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges.
Per serving: 303 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 83 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber; 625 mg sodium; 117 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (25% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- December 2006