From EatingWell: December 2006
These quesadillas have an irresistibly creamy filling. They also make great appetizers. Make it a meal: Serve with your favorite salsa on top and a cup of black bean soup topped with chopped avocado.
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 8 ounces pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary
- 4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- Combine Cheddar, cream cheese, scallions, bell pepper, cilantro, jalapenos (if using), orange zest and juice in a medium bowl. Gently stir in crab. Lay tortillas out on a work surface. Spread one-fourth of the filling on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 quesadillas in the pan and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges.
Per serving: 303 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 83 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber; 625 mg sodium; 117 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (25% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- December 2006