Crabmeat is the star in these delicately seasoned cakes.
- 1 large egg white
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, fresh or frozen and thawed, picked over and patted dry
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 scallion, trimmed and minced
- 3 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Stir egg white briskly with a fork. Add crabmeat, fresh breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, scallions, red and green bell peppers, parsley, Old Bay seasoning and pepper; mix well.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Put the dry breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Form the crab mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties. Lay each patty in the dry breadcrumbs, and then turn each to coat them well on all sides. Pat the crab cakes firmly into rounds and then place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the crab cakes until nicely browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn them gently and broil until heated through and browned, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Serve hot, with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 154 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 1 g fiber; 511 mg sodium; 321 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (48% daily value), Vitamin C (26% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Entertaining, casual
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique