Crabmeat is the star in these delicately seasoned cakes.
- 1 large egg white
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, fresh or frozen and thawed, picked over and patted dry
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 scallion, trimmed and minced
- 3 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Stir egg white briskly with a fork. Add crabmeat, fresh breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, scallions, red and green bell peppers, parsley, Old Bay seasoning and pepper; mix well.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Put the dry breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Form the crab mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties. Lay each patty in the dry breadcrumbs, and then turn each to coat them well on all sides. Pat the crab cakes firmly into rounds and then place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the crab cakes until nicely browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn them gently and broil until heated through and browned, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Serve hot, with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 154 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 1 g fiber; 511 mg sodium; 321 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (48% daily value), Vitamin C (26% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Entertaining, casual
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique