Crabmeat is the star in these delicately seasoned cakes.
- 1 large egg white
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, fresh or frozen and thawed, picked over and patted dry
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 scallion, trimmed and minced
- 3 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Stir egg white briskly with a fork. Add crabmeat, fresh breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, scallions, red and green bell peppers, parsley, Old Bay seasoning and pepper; mix well.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Put the dry breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Form the crab mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties. Lay each patty in the dry breadcrumbs, and then turn each to coat them well on all sides. Pat the crab cakes firmly into rounds and then place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the crab cakes until nicely browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn them gently and broil until heated through and browned, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Serve hot, with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 154 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 1 g fiber; 511 mg sodium; 321 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (48% daily value), Vitamin C (26% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Entertaining, casual