Crabmeat is the star in these delicately seasoned cakes.
- 1 large egg white
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, fresh or frozen and thawed, picked over and patted dry
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 scallion, trimmed and minced
- 3 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Stir egg white briskly with a fork. Add crabmeat, fresh breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, scallions, red and green bell peppers, parsley, Old Bay seasoning and pepper; mix well.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Put the dry breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Form the crab mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties. Lay each patty in the dry breadcrumbs, and then turn each to coat them well on all sides. Pat the crab cakes firmly into rounds and then place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the crab cakes until nicely browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn them gently and broil until heated through and browned, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Serve hot, with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 154 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 1 g fiber; 511 mg sodium; 321 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (48% daily value), Vitamin C (26% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Entertaining, casual
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique