Crab Cake Stuffing
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This crab-cake-meets-stuffing recipe gets a double dose of crabby goodness—little bits of claw crabmeat add flavor throughout the stuffing while pieces of higher-grade “jumbo lump” crabmeat contribute big bites of crab. Shape the stuffing into cakes or bake in a casserole dish. Look for crab in the seafood department of large supermarkets. The recipe that’s included for Bay Spice Blend makes 1 cup, but you’ll only need 1 teaspoon for the stuffing. Try the extra spice blend in a turkey brine, sprinkled on almost any type of seafood and/or in recipes calling for Old Bay Seasoning.
Bay Spice Blend
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- 8 whole bay leaves, finely crushed
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground mace or nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon of the Bay Spice Blend or Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2/3 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces claw crabmeat
- 3/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 8 ounces jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
- 10 cups diced rustic whole-grain bread (from 1 large loaf)
- 1 cup low-sodium turkey or chicken broth or stock
You Might Also Like
- To prepare Bay Spice Blend: Combine dry mustard, bay leaves, crushed red pepper, celery seed, ginger, thyme, paprika, cinnamon, mace (or nutmeg), pepper and onion powder in a medium bowl.
- To prepare stuffing: Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the spice blend, then add celery and onion and cook, stirring often, until tender and translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add wine and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by about half, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in claw crabmeat. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a large baking sheet (or 9-by-13-inch baking dish) with cooking spray.
- Whisk mayonnaise, mustard, hot sauce and eggs into the mixture in the bowl. Add jumbo lump crabmeat, parsley, chives and bread; gently toss, trying not to break up the lumps of crab. Pour broth over the bread and gently combine. To form the stuffing into individual “cakes,” pat 3/4-cup portions into 12 patties 21/2 to 3 inches wide and place on the prepared baking sheet. (Alternatively, transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish.)
- Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°F, 25 to 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare stuffing through Step 4, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before baking (Step 5). Store spice blend airtight at room temperature for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 192 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 452 mg sodium; 154 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 2013