Crab Cake Stuffing
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This crab-cake-meets-stuffing recipe gets a double dose of crabby goodness—little bits of claw crabmeat add flavor throughout the stuffing while pieces of higher-grade “jumbo lump” crabmeat contribute big bites of crab. Shape the stuffing into cakes or bake in a casserole dish. Look for crab in the seafood department of large supermarkets. The recipe that’s included for Bay Spice Blend makes 1 cup, but you’ll only need 1 teaspoon for the stuffing. Try the extra spice blend in a turkey brine, sprinkled on almost any type of seafood and/or in recipes calling for Old Bay Seasoning.
Bay Spice Blend
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- 8 whole bay leaves, finely crushed
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground mace or nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon of the Bay Spice Blend or Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2/3 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces claw crabmeat
- 3/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 8 ounces jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
- 10 cups diced rustic whole-grain bread (from 1 large loaf)
- 1 cup low-sodium turkey or chicken broth or stock
You Might Also Like
- To prepare Bay Spice Blend: Combine dry mustard, bay leaves, crushed red pepper, celery seed, ginger, thyme, paprika, cinnamon, mace (or nutmeg), pepper and onion powder in a medium bowl.
- To prepare stuffing: Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the spice blend, then add celery and onion and cook, stirring often, until tender and translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add wine and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by about half, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in claw crabmeat. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a large baking sheet (or 9-by-13-inch baking dish) with cooking spray.
- Whisk mayonnaise, mustard, hot sauce and eggs into the mixture in the bowl. Add jumbo lump crabmeat, parsley, chives and bread; gently toss, trying not to break up the lumps of crab. Pour broth over the bread and gently combine. To form the stuffing into individual “cakes,” pat 3/4-cup portions into 12 patties 21/2 to 3 inches wide and place on the prepared baking sheet. (Alternatively, transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish.)
- Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°F, 25 to 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare stuffing through Step 4, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before baking (Step 5). Store spice blend airtight at room temperature for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 192 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 452 mg sodium; 154 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- 8 or more
- November/December 2013