Crab Cake Stuffing
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This crab-cake-meets-stuffing recipe gets a double dose of crabby goodness—little bits of claw crabmeat add flavor throughout the stuffing while pieces of higher-grade “jumbo lump” crabmeat contribute big bites of crab. Shape the stuffing into cakes or bake in a casserole dish. Look for crab in the seafood department of large supermarkets. The recipe that’s included for Bay Spice Blend makes 1 cup, but you’ll only need 1 teaspoon for the stuffing. Try the extra spice blend in a turkey brine, sprinkled on almost any type of seafood and/or in recipes calling for Old Bay Seasoning.
Bay Spice Blend
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- 8 whole bay leaves, finely crushed
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground mace or nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon of the Bay Spice Blend or Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2/3 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces claw crabmeat
- 3/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 8 ounces jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
- 10 cups diced rustic whole-grain bread (from 1 large loaf)
- 1 cup low-sodium turkey or chicken broth or stock
You Might Also Like
- To prepare Bay Spice Blend: Combine dry mustard, bay leaves, crushed red pepper, celery seed, ginger, thyme, paprika, cinnamon, mace (or nutmeg), pepper and onion powder in a medium bowl.
- To prepare stuffing: Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the spice blend, then add celery and onion and cook, stirring often, until tender and translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add wine and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by about half, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in claw crabmeat. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a large baking sheet (or 9-by-13-inch baking dish) with cooking spray.
- Whisk mayonnaise, mustard, hot sauce and eggs into the mixture in the bowl. Add jumbo lump crabmeat, parsley, chives and bread; gently toss, trying not to break up the lumps of crab. Pour broth over the bread and gently combine. To form the stuffing into individual “cakes,” pat 3/4-cup portions into 12 patties 21/2 to 3 inches wide and place on the prepared baking sheet. (Alternatively, transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish.)
- Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°F, 25 to 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare stuffing through Step 4, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before baking (Step 5). Store spice blend airtight at room temperature for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 192 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 452 mg sodium; 154 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2013