Crab Cake Burgers
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
These burgers have a true crab flavor that isn't masked by fillers or strong seasoning. Serve on a bun with tartar sauce or with a lemon-juice-dressed salad of greens, sprouts and sliced peaches. This recipe works best with convenient pasteurized crabmeat, usually found in the refrigerated case near the fish counter. If you prefer lump crabmeat, cut it into small, uniform pieces.
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, (see Note)
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 dashes hot sauce, such as
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- Mix crab, egg, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, chives, mustard, lemon juice, celery seed, onion powder, pepper and hot sauce in a large bowl. Form into 6 patties.
- Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until the butter stops foaming. Cook the patties until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Panko breadcrumbs, also known as Japanese breadcrumbs or bread flakes, are coarser in texture than other dried breadcrumbs. They produce a crispy crust and are less likely to become soggy than finely ground breadcrumbs. Look for panko in the Asian food section of large supermarkets and in specialty Asian markets.
Per serving: 163 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 86 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 0 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (44% daily value), Zinc (20% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2005