Crab Cake Burgers
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
These burgers have a true crab flavor that isn't masked by fillers or strong seasoning. Serve on a bun with tartar sauce or with a lemon-juice-dressed salad of greens, sprouts and sliced peaches. This recipe works best with convenient pasteurized crabmeat, usually found in the refrigerated case near the fish counter. If you prefer lump crabmeat, cut it into small, uniform pieces.
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, (see Note)
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 dashes hot sauce, such as
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- Mix crab, egg, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, chives, mustard, lemon juice, celery seed, onion powder, pepper and hot sauce in a large bowl. Form into 6 patties.
- Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until the butter stops foaming. Cook the patties until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Panko breadcrumbs, also known as Japanese breadcrumbs or bread flakes, are coarser in texture than other dried breadcrumbs. They produce a crispy crust and are less likely to become soggy than finely ground breadcrumbs. Look for panko in the Asian food section of large supermarkets and in specialty Asian markets.
Per serving: 163 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 86 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 0 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (44% daily value), Zinc (20% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2005