An amazing creation, our creamless Crème Brulée is every bit as delectable as its full-fat counterpart.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Put a kettle of water on to heat for a water bath. Line a roasting pan with a folded kitchen towel. Place six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins (or custard cups) in the roasting pan.
- Whisk egg yolks, condensed milk and cornstarch in a bowl until smooth. Heat milk over low heat in a medium saucepan until steaming. (Alternatively, heat milk in a 4-cup glass measure in the microwave.) Gently whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Stir in vanilla. Skim foam.
- Divide the custard among ramekins. Skim any remaining foam. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake custards until edges are set but centers still quiver, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from water; let cool on wire racks. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- About 1 hour before serving, preheat the broiler. Place the chilled custards in a roasting pan or shallow baking dish and surround with ice cubes. Using a paper towel, pat surfaces of custards dry. Sprinkle each evenly with 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Broil until sugar has melted and formed a crust, 4 to 8 minutes. (Rearrange custards as needed for even browning and remove individual custards as soon as they are ready.) Refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled, for about 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins (or custard cups)
Per serving: 211 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 146 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 86 mg sodium; 261 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (21% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 low-fat milk
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient