An amazing creation, our creamless Crème Brulée is every bit as delectable as its full-fat counterpart.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Put a kettle of water on to heat for a water bath. Line a roasting pan with a folded kitchen towel. Place six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins (or custard cups) in the roasting pan.
- Whisk egg yolks, condensed milk and cornstarch in a bowl until smooth. Heat milk over low heat in a medium saucepan until steaming. (Alternatively, heat milk in a 4-cup glass measure in the microwave.) Gently whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Stir in vanilla. Skim foam.
- Divide the custard among ramekins. Skim any remaining foam. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake custards until edges are set but centers still quiver, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from water; let cool on wire racks. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- About 1 hour before serving, preheat the broiler. Place the chilled custards in a roasting pan or shallow baking dish and surround with ice cubes. Using a paper towel, pat surfaces of custards dry. Sprinkle each evenly with 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Broil until sugar has melted and formed a crust, 4 to 8 minutes. (Rearrange custards as needed for even browning and remove individual custards as soon as they are ready.) Refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled, for about 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins (or custard cups)
Per serving: 211 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 146 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 86 mg sodium; 261 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (21% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 low-fat milk
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation