An amazing creation, our creamless Crème Brulée is every bit as delectable as its full-fat counterpart.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Put a kettle of water on to heat for a water bath. Line a roasting pan with a folded kitchen towel. Place six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins (or custard cups) in the roasting pan.
- Whisk egg yolks, condensed milk and cornstarch in a bowl until smooth. Heat milk over low heat in a medium saucepan until steaming. (Alternatively, heat milk in a 4-cup glass measure in the microwave.) Gently whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Stir in vanilla. Skim foam.
- Divide the custard among ramekins. Skim any remaining foam. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake custards until edges are set but centers still quiver, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from water; let cool on wire racks. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- About 1 hour before serving, preheat the broiler. Place the chilled custards in a roasting pan or shallow baking dish and surround with ice cubes. Using a paper towel, pat surfaces of custards dry. Sprinkle each evenly with 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Broil until sugar has melted and formed a crust, 4 to 8 minutes. (Rearrange custards as needed for even browning and remove individual custards as soon as they are ready.) Refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled, for about 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins (or custard cups)
Per serving: 211 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 146 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 86 mg sodium; 261 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (21% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 low-fat milk
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other