An amazing creation, our creamless Crème Brulée is every bit as delectable as its full-fat counterpart.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Put a kettle of water on to heat for a water bath. Line a roasting pan with a folded kitchen towel. Place six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins (or custard cups) in the roasting pan.
- Whisk egg yolks, condensed milk and cornstarch in a bowl until smooth. Heat milk over low heat in a medium saucepan until steaming. (Alternatively, heat milk in a 4-cup glass measure in the microwave.) Gently whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Stir in vanilla. Skim foam.
- Divide the custard among ramekins. Skim any remaining foam. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake custards until edges are set but centers still quiver, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from water; let cool on wire racks. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- About 1 hour before serving, preheat the broiler. Place the chilled custards in a roasting pan or shallow baking dish and surround with ice cubes. Using a paper towel, pat surfaces of custards dry. Sprinkle each evenly with 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Broil until sugar has melted and formed a crust, 4 to 8 minutes. (Rearrange custards as needed for even browning and remove individual custards as soon as they are ready.) Refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled, for about 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins (or custard cups)
Per serving: 211 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 146 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 86 mg sodium; 261 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (21% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 low-fat milk
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient