Couscous with Mushrooms & Sun-Dried Tomatoes
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Simple couscous gets an upgrade with sautéed mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. Make it a meal: Simple Roasted Pork Tenderloin and Wilted Spinach with Garlic make nice accompaniments.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), snipped into strips
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Dash of hot sauce, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and tomatoes and stir until the onions are softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme and stir until the mushrooms give off their liquid and begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add broth and hot sauce and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from the heat and cover. Let stand until the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. With a fork, fluff the couscous and stir in parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Per serving: 166 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 91 mg sodium; 151 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- March/April 1996