Couscous with Mushrooms & Sun-Dried Tomatoes
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Simple couscous gets an upgrade with sautéed mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. Make it a meal: Simple Roasted Pork Tenderloin and Wilted Spinach with Garlic make nice accompaniments.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), snipped into strips
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Dash of hot sauce, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and tomatoes and stir until the onions are softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme and stir until the mushrooms give off their liquid and begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add broth and hot sauce and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from the heat and cover. Let stand until the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. With a fork, fluff the couscous and stir in parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Per serving: 166 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 91 mg sodium; 151 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- March/April 1996