Couscous with Mushrooms & Sun-Dried Tomatoes
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Simple couscous gets an upgrade with sautéed mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. Make it a meal: Simple Roasted Pork Tenderloin and Wilted Spinach with Garlic make nice accompaniments.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), snipped into strips
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Dash of hot sauce, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and tomatoes and stir until the onions are softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme and stir until the mushrooms give off their liquid and begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add broth and hot sauce and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from the heat and cover. Let stand until the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. With a fork, fluff the couscous and stir in parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Per serving: 166 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 91 mg sodium; 151 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1996