Couscous with Currants
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Roasted garlic and lemon dress this couscous salad. Currants and tomatoes add sweet counterpoints to the tangy dressing. This dish is best served at room temperature.
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 2 cups couscous
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions, (5 scallions)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Stir together lukewarm water, couscous, currants and salt in a large bowl. Let stand until the water has been absorbed and the couscous is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dip tomatoes into boiling water for a few seconds, refresh under cold water and slip off skins. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise, remove seeds, dice and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, turning occasionally, until blackened in spots and tender, about 10 minutes. Slip the garlic from their skins and trim the tough ends.
- Combine lemon juice, oil, mustard, sugar and the roasted garlic in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork. Add scallions, parsley and the diced tomatoes. Drizzle with the lemon dressing and toss lightly to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve within 2 hours.
Per serving: 168 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 210 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- May/June 1994